Monday, December 17, 2007

Not too good to be true?

They say that 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!' I've found that to be good advice at times, but it is just a tad cynical. Some rare things look good and actually ARE good!

I've been poking around a site that looked far too good to be true for a while now and can't see a catch. It's associated with reputable organisations, and looks like a simply excellent idea. It's called FreeRice and it claims to develop your vocabulary while simultaneously helping to end world hunger.

Why am I blogging about this here? Well (she says, thinking quickly) increasing your vocabulary has got to be a good thing from a librarianish point of view, and one of the things I try to emphasise in my training sessions is how important it is to evaluate your sources of information rather than placing immediate trust in them.

No comments: